Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Sweet and Sour Pork

I made sweet and sour pork tonight. Rex loves pork. We didn't have it much growing up except the occasional pork chops and of course ham. So I have tried a few recipes with pork. I just need to learn what kind to buy at the store. Though at Albertsons the guy in the meat section was very helpful when I was buying a pork roast to make pulled bbq pork.

So anyway, here is the recipe. It is from my 101 Things to do with a Slowcooker book.

1 lb pork tenderloin, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 can (20 oz) pineapple chunks, drained
1 cup sweet and sour sauce
1/4 tsp ginger

Place all ingredients in the order listed in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat 4-6 hours. (2-4 servings).

I serve it with rice.

The first few times I used recipes that called for sweet and sour sauce, I bought the sauce from the store, but that is expensive. So finally I realized I could look up a recipe and make my own sweet and sour sauce for way cheaper. I found this recipe on allrecipes.com

3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup white vinegar
2/3 cup water
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tbsp ketchup
2 Tbsp cornstarch

Mix together in saucepan. Bring to a boil. Stir continuously until it has thickened.

This recipe makes about 1 cup, so the perfect amount for the sweet and sour pork.

Ian loves the pork. He is picky about meat sometimes. He did actually eat a hot dog for the first time a week or so ago. Before he wouldn't even put one in his mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment