Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Strawberry Shortcake

I love strawberries. Growing up we always grew them. When I was grocery shopping on Monday, I just had to buy them. They weren't on sale, so they were expensive. I got ads the next day and they were on sale at the store I went to. I decided to make strawberry shortcake. It was my first time making it and it turned out really good, though not quite as pretty as the shortcake you buy at the store.

6 cups sliced strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter
1 beaten egg
2/3 cup milk
1 cup whipping cream or cool whip

Preheat oven to 450. In a small bowl, stir together strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar; set aisde. Stir together remaining sugar, flour, and baking powder. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs/ Combine egg and milk; add to flour mixture. Stir just to moisten.

For whole shortcake: Spread dough in a greased round baking pan. Bake at 450 for 15 to 18 minutes.

For individual shortcakes (This is what I did): Drop dough into 8 mounds on an ungreased baking sheet. Flatten each mound with back of spoon until about 3/4 inch thick. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes.

Let cool on wire rack. Split in half horizontally. Put strawberries and cream in middle and then on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment