Monday, April 13, 2009

Oatmeal Batter Bread

I have been making bread to make our other bread last longer. We still buy bread from the store for sandwiches and stuff, because I have not yet found a good recipe for bread that we can use for sandwiches. I like trying other kinds of bread as well. Today I was looking through my Good Housekeeping Cookbook, which has a ton of recipes. I got the book from a Provo library book sale (I miss the Provo library), so it was cheap. The bread is good.

2 tsp salt
2 packages yeast
about 5 cups flour
2 1/4 cups water
1 cup oats (quick-cooking)
1/2 cup light molasses
butter or margarine

1. In large bowl combine salt, yeast, and 2 cups flour. In a saucepan mix together water, oats, and molasses with 1 Tbsp butter; over low heat, heat until very warm, but not boiling.
2. With mixer at low speed, gradually beat liquid mixture into dry ingredients until just blended. Increase speed to medium. Beat in remaining flour until makes a stiff dough that leaves sides of bowl.
3. Put in greased bowl; cover with towel and let rise 1 hour.
4. Stir down/punch down dough. Divide into 2 ans turn into 2 greased round straight sides casserole dishes (I used round cake pans). Cover and let rise about 45 minutes.
5. Cook 40 minutes on 350 degree oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment