Monday, September 21, 2009

Mexican Lasagna

This is another one from my Taste of Home magazine (I love finding new recipes to try and that work out). We had this last night and was really good.

1 1/2 lbs ground chicken
1 c each diced red onions and diced green bell pepper
2 tsp minced garlic
1 c canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1 c diced tomatoes
1/2c frozen or canned corn
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
2 c tomato pasta sauce
1 c medium salsa
1/4 tsp ground pepper
2 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro
4 large or 8 small tortillas
1 1/2 c packed shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 375. Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
In a large pot or skillet, cook ground chicken, onions, green pepper, and garlic until meat is no longer pink. add black beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder, and cumin, Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add pasta sauce, salsa, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cilantro and remove from heat.
To assemble the lasagna, spread 1/3 sauce mixture over bottom of casserole dish. Top with tortillas, overlapping and cutting them as necessary to fit. Top with 1/3 sauce mixture, followed by 1/2 the cheese. Cover cheese with tortillas, followed by remaining sauce. Sprinkle remaining cheese over sauce.
Cover with foil and bake for 35 mintues. Uncover and bake 10 more mintues. Let lasgna stand for at least 10 mintues before serving.

I actually used ground beef instead of chicken, as I don't have ground chicken and have never used it. I also didn't put the green pepper in since Rex doesn't like peppers. I also skipped the cilantro because I forgot to get any at the store this week. I used wheat tortillas on one layer and white tortillas on the other. The recipe also says to top each piece with some sour cream and chopped green onions. Rex had sour cream, I didn't (I don't like sour cream when it is not cooked in). I also halved the recipe, since this serves 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment