Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Chicken Enchilada Bake

So I've realized I have made a lot of Mexican type dishes lately (not truly Mexican, but you get the idea). This is from the Taste of Home magazine.

4 1/2 cups cubed chicken
1 can (28 oz) enchilada sauce
1 1/4 c sour cream
9 tortillas, cut into 1 1/2 in pieces
4 cups shredded cheese.

In a greased 13x9 baking dish, layer half the chicken, enchilada sauce, sour cream, tortillas, and cheese. Repeat layers.
Cover and bake at 375 for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 more minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

The recipe actually calls for green enchilada sauce, but since I had to find a recipe for the sauce that had things I had, I used a red enchilada sauce. I also halved the recipe because it does serve 10.

Red Enchilada Sauce (from allrecipes.com)

1/4 vegetable oil
2 Tbsp flour
1/4 c chili powder
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 1/2 c water
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion salt
salt to taste

Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in flour and chili powder, reduce heat to medium and cook until lightly brown, stirring constantly to prevent flour from burning.
Gradually stir in tomato sauce, water, and spices. Continue cooking over medium heat about 10 minutes to until thickened slightly.

I didn't halve the enchilada recipe and found that I had too much sauce, so next time I will halve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment